Have you ever noticed that tourists try to get a picture near every boring sculpture or statue they can find? Most of the time, they don’t even care who made it, or why it is there in the first place.
The worst part of it is when your friends come back from vacation, and you have to watch all those crappy DSC0001.jpg, DSC0002.jpg… DSC1562.jpg files.
In order to show how pointless it is – every time I travel I ask people to take pictures of me near garbage bins.
However, there are some truly amazing exceptions I must say, and I’ve put them all in this little list of Strangest Sculptures from Around the World. Hope you like it, but if you miss some great sculpture here – don’t be angry, just share it by leaving a comment!
1. Upside Down Charles La Trobe Statue (Australia)
It stands on his head in Melbrourne at La Trobe University Bundoora.
(Bamboos for phil.lees)
2. Vomiting Fountain Sculpture (London, UK)
(Bamboos for akanekal)
3. Device to Root Out Evil (Calgary, Canada)
(Bamboos for whistlepunch)
Designed by Dennis Oppenheim. Located in the neighbourhood of Ramsay, Calgary, Canada.
4. Traffic Light Tree (London, UK)
(Bamboos for Squirmelia)
Designed by Pierre Vivant, “Traffic Light Tree” has 75 sets of traffic lights. The sculpture was created to mimic a tree structure and reflect the energy of the developing Canary Wharf area.
5. Skull (Prague, Czech Republic)
(Bamboos for Steve Montgomery)
A really odd sculpture, that is said to be “inspired” by the works of Kafka.
6. Peeing Guys by D. Cerny (Prague, Czech Rep.)
(Bamboos for Chaymation)
(Bamboos for Irwin)
“The idea is disarmingly simple. Two bronze sculptures pee into their oddly-shaped enclosure (actually it’s the shape of the Czech Republict).
While they are peeing, the two figures move realistically. An electric mechanism driven by a couple of microprocessors swivels the upper part of the body, while the penis goes up and down. The stream of water writes quotes from famous Prague residents.
Visitor can interrupt them by sending SMS message from mobile phone to a number, displayed next to the sculptures. The living statue then “writes” the text of the message, before carrying on as before.” Chaymation
7. Nation for Itself Forever by D. Cerny
(Bamboos for davidcerny.cz)
To keep the statue it has been changed more or less due to fear of protests that the project is aimed at National Theater itself.
8. Disturbing Ballerina Man (Los Angeles, CA, USA)
(Bamboos for SeraphimC)
9. Engagement Rings (Vancouver, Canada)
(Bamboos for Troy B Thompson)
Two engagement rings in the ground at English Bay – must be a good place to engage. Designed by Dennis Oppenheim .
10. Skeletons In Love (Nong Khai, N.E. Thailand)
(Bamboos for peterkellystudios)
11. Würsa 18000Km From Earth (France)
(Bamboos for dalbera)
At a distance of 18,000 km from the earth, the elephant Wursa could balance on her trunk. It is on the basis of learned scientific calculations that Daniel Firman reached this conclusion, and came above all to produce this extraordinary work which confounds all our certainties regarding the gravitation of bodies.
12. Giant Tap (Tecnopark Wintertur, Switzerland)
(Bamboos for Bill Liao)
13. Tübingen Microbiology Institute (Germany)
(Bamboos for jim265)
Did we forget to include some cool sculpture on our list? Share it with other pandas!
Possibly related posts:
- 10 Bizzare Sculptures by David Cerny
- Top 10 Most Shocking & Bizzare Fountains in the World
- Top 33 World’s Strangest Buildings (sorted by 4.520 visitors votes)